Alert! Regime Compromised

Yes, thanks to a weird hangover (the kind that doesn't actually hurt, but renders your brain somewhat... fuzzy), the planned work extravaganza didn't happen today. Not in terms of creative, written work, at least. Knowing that I wouldn't be weaving any award-winning tales today, I changed tact and spent the day finally sorting out my new flat, bedroom and office (those last two are the same).

This evening, I've been sitting with a large notepad, planning out the first of my three Sample Scripts Which Will Secure Me A TV Agent. I've understandably opted to work on the 10-minute short first. After all, when that's done, I can kid myself that a third of the required scripts are complete. :)

Does anyone have views on whether a feature-length movie script is acceptable as one of the three samples? I have doubts, as cinematic flicks are obviously very different to TV movies/90-minute dramas. The one I have in mind was also written to be an American movie. But does it matter?

3 comments:

DAVID BISHOP said...

I'm no expert, but a great script's still a great script, right? The samples are about proving you can write, have a unique voice and are a marketable talent for the agency.

I guess it also depends on what you want to write: TV or movies. Exaggerated-for-effect example: if you want to work for DWM, you don't send them haiku as writing samples.

Jason Arnopp said...

But my outstanding haiku skills were the main reason Clay and Tom gave me the job! :-o

Good point. In this country, I mainly want to write for TV, so hmmm... perhaps I should fashion a new TV script. It'll be good experience too, naturally. Guess it just struck me that if one of my screenplays was a valid submission to help secure an agent, then I should use it. *rubs chin*

James Moran said...

Many agents represent you for both telly and film. Mine does, and when I submitted my stuff, it was one 30 minute telly episode, and one 90 minute film script. If the agent does both, then it does no harm to submit both types, in fact it's probably better, I reckon. And plenty of TV movies ended up getting a cinema release, so the line isn't as clear as it used to be.